ROCTE Work Based Learning Program
What is Work Based Learning?
The Work Based Learning Program (WBL) sponsored by ROCTE is an opportunity for students in their Junior and Senior years of high school to explore career opportunities and gain valuable work experience.
Through a series of job shadowing experiences, and possibly internships, students gain more information about career areas of interest and are able to make better decisions when planning for college and/or their future careers. It is our goal that students will use the information gained from their experiences to help ensure a smooth transition from high school to post-secondary education or the workplace and have successful careers.
With participation in this program, students begin to make the connection between their school work and how it applies to life outside of school. They also begin to understand what may need to be done to better prepare for their careers.
How do Students Benefit from Work Based Learning?
Students in the WBL program benefit in numerous ways. Here are just a few:
- Exposure to a variety of careers
- Relates school work to "real-life"
- Hands-on training and experience
- Can earn high school credit (if applicable) through internships during Senior Year
- Opportunity to add experiences to resumes
- Potential contacts for employment and post-secondary education
- Connection between school and work
- Self-confidence gained from school and work
How does the School and Community benefit from Work Based Learning?
As many of our schools are the focal point of their small, rural communities, this program is beneficial in many ways:
- Helps to motivate students to be productive members of society
- Enhances the employment of youth
- Helps to expand the pool of qualified applicants for job vacancies
- Provides a link for businesses to interact with schools
- Increased enrollment in Career and Technical Education courses
- May help improve school attendance and reduce the drop-out rate
- Provides a sense of pride to the student and the community
How do partnering businesses benefit from Work Based Learning?
- Businesses that partner with this program will benefit in the following ways:
- Better pool of applicants for future employees
- Exposure of businesses and industries to goal minded students
- Introduce students/future employees to work place ethics
- Earlier introduction to possible long-term employees
- Students/future employees gain better communications skills
- Motivation of students to become productive members of society
How can you get involved?
Students who wish to enroll in the WBL program may do so when the ROCTE WBL coordinator visits your school with the full presentation or by contacting your counselor. All necessary information and forms can be found at the links below
The ROCTE office is continually seeking new businesses to partner with our program and become student hosts and mentors. If you would like more information about partnering with our program, please contact Mary Jo Wood, Director, at (217) 529-3716 or by email [email protected]. For a complete listing of our business partners, please refer to the WBL brochure just above.